To me there is nothing more fun or relaxing than sitting in front of the TV with Netflix on and crocheting all day long. I must say, this is my guilty pleasure. But did you know that crocheting can actually be good for you? Here’s how:
- If you suffer from depression, anxiety, or even just stress (lets be real, we all get super stressed out once and a while) taking up crocheting or just being creative can help take your mind off whatever has been nagging you. The repetitive motions of each individual stitch, counting rows and stitches, these are why I love putting a good show on Netflix and just space out. Also, doing something that you like and makes you happy can release dopamine, a chemical our bodies can make that acts like a natural antidepressant.
- If you’re having trouble winding down and falling asleep, crocheting can help! It’s simple enough to just space out and wind down for the night. It usually helps me ready my brain for sleep unless I’m REALLY into a pattern. Which happens once in a while and then I end up staying up all night working on one project. I think that’s just a personal thing though. Sometimes I get really excited about a project and have to work until it’s finished or I’ll lose interest and never finish it.
- Crocheting can help reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s by a surprising 30-50%! It can help you engage in cognitive exercises and helps stimulate your mind. By doing this you can slow down or even prevent memory loss! You can challenge your memory by memorizing a pattern, you can learn a new stitch or technique, or even work on writing up your own pattern. You can help preserve your memories by being creative and doing something you love.
- By crocheting fun and creative projects, you can build self esteem. Between feeling proud of what you’ve made and accomplished, and others complimenting you on it, your self esteem should really get a boost.
- If you’re like me and you really enjoy continuously creating items, you can open a shop on Etsy where you can sell the items you have made. While it may not become a runaway success overnight, having a place to share your beautiful creations with others can one day turn into a full time thing.
There are a few reasons to pick up a hook today and learn how to crochet. It’s so much fun and it’s a great creative outlet!